Acer GN246HL Review
- Newegg Customers
Acer GN246HL – A No-Frills Good budget Gaming Monitor
Acer is a multinational company that has been providing customers with exceptional computer hardware for about four decades now. While Acer is probably not the first name that comes into mind when looking for hardware related to gaming, with the 24-inch Acer Predator GN246HLBbid monitor, the brand has won the hearts of gamers around the world. Let’s deep dive into the specifications of this monitor before we discuss the pros and cons.
• Screen size: 24 inches
• Resolution: 1,920 x 1,080
• Refresh rate: 144Hz
• Response Time: 5 ms
• TFT-panel type: TN
• 3D support: Yes
• Overdrive: Enabled by default
• Inputs: VGA, DVI, HDMI
• Audio: HDMI audio out
• Dimensions (mm): 565 x 180 x 402 (W x D x H)
• Portrait mode: No
• Wattage: 23 watts
• Weight: 3.5 kg
• Mount VESA: 100mm
• This LED backlit monitor is the first of its size to support NVIDIA 3D LightBoost technology and NVIDIA Vision, delivering a brighter, better Full HD 3D imagery via PC DVI-DL.
• One of the primary reasons for you to purchase the Acer GN246HL would be its Refresh rate of 144 Hz. A Refresh rate this high speeds up the frames per second and delivers ultra-smooth 2D motion scenes. This Acer Gaming Monitor shortens the time taken for Frame Rendering, lowers the Input Lag and provides gamers a good Response Time during gaming. 144Hz is a boon for the FPS games.
• Sealing the deal are the affordable pricing for such high specs, which makes Acer GN246HL one of the most cost-effective purchases for a 24-inch, 144Hz monitor.
• The viewing angles of the screen are about 170 degrees, so you can view the images from a very wide range of positions.
• The resolution is 1920 x 1080 – ideal for delivering high-quality details, making it optimal for Full HD (1080P) gaming, multimedia, and productivity applications. This opens up the monitor for a wide range of applications, such as Widescreen cinematic playback and Blu-ray Disc console gaming.
• The EcoDisplay on the Acer GN246 has a mercury-free, RoHS compliant white LED backlight. It is designed to save energy up to 68%. The packaging of the monitor is recyclable.
• The Acer Adaptive Contrast Management (100 million:1 ACM) is a key feature for better image quality, radiating the whitest whites and the deepest blacks.
• There is a 3.5 mm jack on the monitor, but there aren’t any inbuilt speakers.
• There is no display port on the monitor. However, there are VGA, DVI and HDMI ports. For utilizing the 144Hz to its fullest, you will have to use a DVI cable as typically; HDMI does not support more than 60Hz.
• A response time of 5 ms is a bit high for a 144hz monitor.
• The monitor can take around 15-20 seconds to turn on. This can bum some people out for sure.
• Many users have complained about the Acer GN246HL being ‘Too Bright’ and they are not wrong. If you are gaming at night with the lights turned off, the whole room lights up. However, it is great to use in the day and programs like “F.lux” can help optimize the color scheme more soothing without causing any harm to the monitor.
• The Acer GN246HL does not have rotation or height adjust. There is not much you can do regarding tilting or panning. You can only change the viewing angle of the monitor. This can become a little bit problematic for people with big heights as the monitor stand is only a few inches off the ground.
All in all, the Acer GN246HL is a monitor that is built to give you the best possible 3D experience in a 24-inch display. There are some cons but they can be easily tackled, and they definitely do not compromise the FPS gaming or viewing experience at the incredible 144hz rate. There is no stuttering, no ghosting, and the monitor feels ‘snappy’ to the user. This is the best monitor in its price range. However, prices may fluctuate depending on where you are located and where you are purchasing from. There are no additional and ‘not-really-needed’ features in the monitor, and the essentials have been tweaked to their highest values, making it a ‘no-Frills monitor’. If you want an ultra HD, non-problematic, smooth and superior gaming experience in the price range of $200-$300, Acer GN246HL is the right fit for you!